How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im looking to hire an expert witness to have my exs income

This answer was rated:

I'm looking to hire an expert witness to have my ex's income imputed since she is voluntarily unemployed. Do I have to go through an attorney to hire a vocational expert? I have looked on-line but haven't had any success.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer, I would like to assist you with your question today. You do not have to go through your attorney to hire an expert to evaluate or testify in your case. If you can locate one on your own you can retain that expert and have them work with your attorney. You can locate experts through expert referral services (you can find those online - look for litigation expert services) or you can try to find an accountant or forensic accountant that is willing to act in this case. Unfortunately, your attorney is probably better equipped than you to find an expert due to their experience in the field and additional contacts, but with persistence you can likely find one with the right experience to assist you in your case.


Sorry, I need clarification. Are you suggesting that I continue to look on my own for an expert or should I contact an attorney and see if they will give me a referral?

William B. Esq. :

It depends. If you have the time to spend looking for one, you can do so yourself, just make sure the expert you eventually find has the credentials (a recent publication or two, experience in litigation and testifying in this field, and is close enough to travel if necessary). If you do not have the time, or if you are under a deadline, it is probably best to use your attorney's contacts - this is not an unusual issue in family law, and they should have someone, or a couple of experts, they can identify (it never hurts to at least ask before you start searching).

CalAttorney2 and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you