Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is my new husband responsible for my old tax debt (my previous

Is my new husband responsible for my old tax debt (my previous husband concealed some bad things, too many to list)? We don't own any joint accounts, property or file joint returns. Michigan
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. The answer is no, he is not. This means that the state cannot pursue you for any tax debt that he owns to Michigan Department of Treasury.

As you know however, they may attempt to collect attaching anything with his name on it, which is then likely why you do not have any joint accounts of property (very smart). I was about to discuss joint returns but it looks like you do not have this, either.

Note however: "We recognize that, in certain situations, a spouse's separate assets, or the appreciation in their value during the marriage, may be included in the marital estate." McNamara v. Horner, 642 NW 2d 385 - Mich: Court of Appeals 2002. But this only comes into play in DIVORCE issues, and not civil judgment.

Then, you or your assets are not liable provided that they are not commingled with his.

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you rock! i have more business-related questions coming up. i will request you. in short-my ex "ran" my dental practice- you get the pix.

A,

you rock!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

i have more business-related questions coming up. i will request you. in short-my ex "ran" my dental practice- you get the pix.

I think I understand.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Thank you for your gratuity.