Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was assaulted by my boss outside of work. He was drunk and

I was assaulted by my...
I was assaulted by my boss outside of work. He was drunk and punched me. It escalated into a fight when I decided to defend myself after I realized it would not be just one punch. I have 3 very noticeable marks on my face from the assault (laceration, bruised welt, and a blood shot eye from blood vessel damage). There are 3 witnesses who broke up the fight, and cctv footage of him angrily yelling at me before telling me to follow him into a empty room. How do I get the most money from this.
6/4/2013
WALLSTREETFIGHTER

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is a serious matter, your first course of action is to press criminal charges against him,

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

once he is arrested for an assault, and you have pictures of your injuries,

Customer:

Yes i photographed all the very visible injuries

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can sue him for damages in civil court,

WALLSTREETLAW :

that would be your best course of action,

Customer:

This is a very high profile public company

Customer:

my interests are mostly for a settlement

WALLSTREETLAW :

once an arrest is made,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you should bring a civil lawsuit,

Customer:

it is a company that will not want this in the papers

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

and have your attorney start settlement discussions,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can state to him, that you will drop all charges,

WALLSTREETLAW :

if he pays you the amount you want,

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

if this is a large company

WALLSTREETLAW :

he would not want charges, or an arrest on his record

Customer:

yes

WALLSTREETLAW :

Another option is to have an attorney advise him now, that if he does not settle the matter,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you will contact the police,

WALLSTREETLAW :

the problem with doing this first, is that he can claim you are extorting him,

Customer:

what do you recommend?

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would suggest contacting the police, and make a formal complaint,

Customer:

this happened early saturday morning

Customer:

so about 3 days ago

WALLSTREETLAW :

and see a local personal injury attorney to bring a civil suit,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and start settlement talks.

Customer:

is it too late for pressing criminal charges?

WALLSTREETLAW :

no, if it happened saturday night and you have injuries,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you should file charges

Customer:

okay

Customer:

does the severity of the injuries matter?

Customer:

I did not go to the hospital

Customer:

but the marks are very visible

WALLSTREETLAW :

yes it will matter,

WALLSTREETLAW :

take pictures, I would suggest going to the doctor as well,

WALLSTREETLAW :

to document the extent of your injuries,

Customer:

alright then

Customer:

so first press criminal charges

Customer:

see a doctor to document the marks

WALLSTREETLAW :

Also, if he tries to fire or retaliate against you for this,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can ask for more damages in a settlement or lawsuit

Customer:

I will not be working for the company as of today

Customer:

he did not try to fire me but we mutually agreed it would not be possible

Customer:

should i not have done that?

WALLSTREETLAW :

it would have been better for him to terminate you,

WALLSTREETLAW :

but you can state you were coerced into a resignation,

WALLSTREETLAW :

also apply for unemployment benefits, as well

Customer:

okay

Customer:

around what amount do you think i can expect or shoot for in a settlement

WALLSTREETLAW :

I cannot tell you this, I would ask for a large amount up front,

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

start with $100,000

Customer:

well could you give me a recap of the steps to take

Customer:

or tell me if i missed anything

Customer:

press criminal charges

Customer:

file a civil lawsuit

Customer:

document injuries by going to a doctor

Customer:

photographed my injuries

WALLSTREETLAW :

speak to a local personal injury lawyer,

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

You can also send a letter to the employer or HR advising them of the matter,

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

That is a good start,

Customer:

alright thank you very much

Customer:

are there any steps i should take in order?

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

such as going to the doctor first before pressing charges etc?

WALLSTREETLAW :

The first step is file criminal charges, and document your injuries,

WALLSTREETLAW :

same time,

WALLSTREETLAW :

since a few days have past this should happen asap

Customer:

okay

Customer:

and after that locate a personal injury lawyer

WALLSTREETLAW :

yes

Customer:

and file a civil suit against him

WALLSTREETLAW :

that will come last,

Customer:

then start talking settlements by telling him I won't press charges and drop the case

Customer:

okay

WALLSTREETLAW :

after the civil suit, start settlement negotiations

Customer:

i'm sure those last procedures will be made more clear after finding a personal injury lawyer

WALLSTREETLAW :

yes,

Customer:

do you advise a personal injury lawyer or a employment lawyer

WALLSTREETLAW :

a personal injury attorney,

Customer:

okay thank you very much

WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney