TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

HIPPA Issue

My New Jersey hospital gave a marketing company my name, address, home and cell phone numbers and told them I was a cardiac patient. Is this legal? Is there anything I can do about it as I did not authorize their use of my information.

Thank you for your question.

Technically, this is a violation of HIPAA, and you may file a claim for this violation with the Department of Health and Human Services at: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/.

If you have actually experienced economic loss as a result of this action, you can sue the Hospital for violation of your constitutional right to privacy citing the HIPAA statutes as an expression of the standard of care that was breached in your case.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN