How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is a disabled veteran and resides in Texas. She

This answer was rated:

My daughter is a disabled veteran and resides in Texas. She lost her father about a year ago and is his only child. Her father left property in New Mexico which is supposed to have been put in her name however her uncle
has not done this as of yet. Which state should she hire an attorney in? Which is the most cost effective way to do this? She is in school and doesn't have a lot of money. If you have any suggestions please contact me @[email protected] .

Thank you in advance for your time.

Laura Fleming

Thanks for your question.

You say that her father left her property? Was this done through a will? If so, was the will filed in court (i.e., "probated")? If so, where was it filed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your response. Where did the father reside when he passed away and how long ago did he pass away?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you are asking which state it was New Mexico. If you where it was the house that was left to him by his father and mother who had passed a year prior however the uncle the executor over their estate had not probated their wills either. My daughter and her uncle went be for the judge last June to do this and the judge in NM said he 18 months in which to do this.

Thank you for your answer.

The issue is that the property did not yet pass to her father from his parent's estate yet. It is still unsettled.

She needs to get an estate attorney in New Mexico who is going to need to make an appearance for her in the probate case for her father's parents case, which is still on going. At the same time, since he did not leave a will, she will need to move for an administration to be filed in New Mexico, where he passed away.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there any time limit on how long the representative of the wills can sit on the matter and not take care of business?