How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34291
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son will soon be a father/he is 20 and his girlfriend is

This answer was rated:

My son will soon be a father/he is 20 and his girlfriend is 20. They don't want 2 get married. The girlfriend lives with her mother and another sister ...this sister has been asked to leave the home on several occasions;;;she is bi-polar( 25 yrs. old), she physically attacks the mother and becomes physical with my son's girlfriend. What rights does my son have in order to keep the expectant child safe? The girlfriend will deliver July the 18th.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am very sorry to have to bear bad news. As an expectant father, there is little if anything he can do. He can report this to local law enforcement and to DFCS (chid services)...if it is clear that mom is endangering the child, then the state could take this to court.

But as the putative father, until paternity is acknowledged or established (and if they are not married this can only happen at birth) he has no legal standing with the unborn child.

SO if he fears for the child's safety, he should contact child services and request they engage to protect the unborn child.

Now...after the birth of the child it gets easier (for dad). If more acknowledges him as dad he can be added to the birth certificate. If mom refuses to do so, he can go to court and ask for a DNA to establish paternity. One he is established as father he has standing and can go to court and seek custody of the child.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: until the child is born there is little he can do, since he is not the father in the eyes of the law. Once the child is born? Then it is possible for him to establish his he does that? THen it is easy for him to go to court to protect his child

P. Simmons and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions