How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We hired an outside party to help us do a loan modification

This answer was rated:

We hired an outside party to help us do a loan modification on our mortgage. She did most of the work, and we paid her all of her $1500 with the exception of $400. We gave her the last $400 payment, but, she never cashed it. We tried to find her, but never could, all e-mails were never replied too. Her phone numbers just rang and rang. Now, almost 4 years later, she wants to cash that $400 check. Can she do that?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Most banks would not cash checks that are more than 180 days old, however if this third party did complete the work that you hired her for and you did issue this payment, even though it has been 4 years you still might have legal obligation to pay the $400 that were owed and for which you have issued a check 4 years ago.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you