Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

We hired an outside party to help us do a loan modification

We hired an outside party to help us do a loan modification on our mortgage. She did most of the work, and we paid her all of her $1500 with the exception of $400. We gave her the last $400 payment, but, she never cashed it. We tried to find her, but never could, all e-mails were never replied too. Her phone numbers just rang and rang. Now, almost 4 years later, she wants to cash that $400 check. Can she do that?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Most banks would not cash checks that are more than 180 days old, however if this third party did complete the work that you hired her for and you did issue this payment, even though it has been 4 years you still might have legal obligation to pay the $400 that were owed and for which you have issued a check 4 years ago.

I wish you the best of luck!