How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37063
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased my house in 2001. I met my present husband in 2008;

This answer was rated:

I purchased my house in 2001. I met my present husband in 2008; we married in 2010. In November 2009 he was laid off from his job month later I came down with breast cancer.

For two years I went through surgery, chemo and hospitalization, continued to work from home and in the office and he was there for me all the time. While it was a very difficult time for us we made it through. I worked through chemo, paid the bills and did what I had to do to keep us out of debt.

He took me to appointments , kept the house up and even remodeled the bathroom.
During the 3 years he was unemployed he did work around the house, painted and remodeled the bathroom and did what he could do yo stay busy.

He now has a full time job making $13.00 an hour. I have always been in management and make significantly more.

he is a recovering alcoholic of 7 years and has been out of remission for 4 months and now he wants a divorce. I have been paying his bills and mine (I have a ledger) and now he wants to be re-compensated for the work he did in the house.

My answer is because I paid his bills, bought the food he ate, the cloths he wore and all the Christmas gift for his family we should be good!

my question is, what do I owe him?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
PA is an "equitable distribution state" which means that the marital property shall be divided in what the court deems to be a equitable manner. Equitable doesn't mean equal, but rather what is fair. So if you have provided all the financial backing for the marriage (and can prove it) and the house is still in your name solely, I would opine that you wouldn't owe him anything.
Absent any agreement for you to repay him for any labor, the court would likely zero out his contributions vs yours and basically put you both back in the same positions you were in before the marriage.







If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.


Barrister and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions