How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help I have a long relationship with a girlfriend 9

Customer Question

Please help I have a long relationship with a girlfriend 9 years that has become very abusive and unmanageable she is an alchoholic and wont work and constantly verbaly abuses me at home and in public I want to end the relationship and get her out of my house. She constantly threatens me with verbal threats but not physicaly and I don't know what to do. I am afraid to get a restraining order because she will claim physical abuse which has not happened there have been no instances where the police have been called yet but on multiple occasions I have left my home to spend the night in the local hotel. Please advise ASAP Thanks Tom
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

The only way you can likely avoid a restraining order is if you are willing to move away and put enough distance between you and her to prevent or make it difficult for her to make contact with you.

If that's not an option, then there's not much choice but to pursue the restraining order. As for her filing charges of abuse, you can't prevent that, BUT if there is no evidence of such activity - - NO police reports, NO calls to the police, NO evidence of injury (bruises, scrapes, etc.), then it would be really hard for her to sustain such a claim. Also, you could file additional charges against her for abuse of process, malicious prosecution and making a false affidavit.

The only other option is to walk away and do nothing and see how it goes. However, that's likely not to be a solution that will really work.