Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello. I have a housing/money issue and wondering if I am

Hello. I have a...
Hello. I have a housing/money issue and wondering if I am criminally liable. For 8 months I subletted from someone who I thought was a main tenant/intimated I am signing a co-lease and that if things go well a new lease would be offered for me to take over the place. Then in April he disappeared and a marshall's notice citing john doe comes under the door. I do an order to show cause. I appear and the judge suggests I pay use/o and why not offer me a lease? Their lawyer adjourns/tells me if I offer a certain amount they'll most likely sign a lease and I agree to meet them out of court. In anticipation of June signing I get a roommate. She freaks when she learns it was in court and asks for last month back and that she'll move in June, which I return. I take a 2300 deposit from someone else who's supposed to move in June 1st. Recently the deal fell through because I found out that the person I originally rented from was already in court, had changed the locks and deceived me and the LL. I spent a good portion of the 2300 expecting to a) get my 1500 deposit back b) receive more rent June 1st, but the girl changed her mind about moving, did not pay, and the lease fell through. If I contact the guy saying all this happened/no place to move/have half your money can pay the rest soon, am I looking at some criminal charges? I'm being honest, I've went to court for the matter today and lost all hope of a lease, I'm not disappearing anywhere--what's the best way to approach this? Should I assume in the future I will need a criminal attorney or can I just use my money to pay him off asap? All transactions have been done in writing. His noted that it was deposit for "June 1st move in."
5/30/2013
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Thanks for contacting us. You asked: If I contact the guy saying all this happened/no place to move/have half your money can pay the rest soon, am I looking at some criminal charges? ANSWER: Absolutely not. Everything you did is in the realm of civil law not criminal. Your worst case is that they sue you for refunds and obtain judgments against you. But if you deal openly and honestly repay their deposits, you will be okay
I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If you have any follow up questions please send back a Reply. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Pearl.com- Just Answer. We appreciate your business.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Thanks. But does that mean if it takes me a little time to pay that this changes? I'm forced to move as it is and I'm going to stay with a friend until everyones paid off, but does it matter the time frame or all that matters to keep it a civil matter is that I am present, do not lie, pay as much as often as I can and answer any lawsuits?

I don't know where you got the idea that you might have criminal problems. If you didn't write bad checks or take the money without the
consent of the other person,there is nothing criminal. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to pay the money back. It's not criminal.
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney