How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks for the response. I cannot proceed if the lawyer does

This answer was rated:

Thanks for the response. I cannot proceed if the lawyer does not show because I am suing as a business? Could I ask the judge to amend the complaint to include myself as suing since I am the only member of the business and let me proceed to represent myself.? What if I told the judge that I dismissed this lawyer due to not representing my best interests and need to find another attorney? My lawsuit is for 4950.00. THe is no way I can recover more than the stolen car is worth? Could I refile and sue if I lose tomorrow using my Indiana based company. As of now, I am suing as my maryland based company. The Indiana company if the one listed on the title that I have
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your lawyer does not show up and you paid him to represent you, then he is committing malpractice if he does not file for and obtain a continuance from the court for his absence.

You cannot represent your company as you know and as the vehicle belongs to your company you cannot have yourself personally added as a plaintiff.

You can inform the judge you have dismissed your attorney and file a motion for continuance to obtain a new attorney and that is up to the judge's discretion to allow.

You can only recover the actual damages you suffered from the loss of the car. This means if you have other directly related actual damages (attorney's fees at the discretion of the court) from the loss of the car, then you can recover those as well.

If your Indiana company owns the car, then how are you suing under the MD company, the actual owner of the car needs to sue. As long as you are within the statute of limitations you can get an attorney to file a motion to dismiss without prejudice and file again under the Indiana company if you have the wrong party named as plaintiff.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you