How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just found out the hard way that my vehicle registration

This answer was rated:

I have just found out the hard way that my vehicle registration was suspended for no insurance. We have insurance in force now but we did have a lapse due to economic conditions. I am disabled and my family is on hard times. My wife just found work and without a car she cannot get to work. Is there a hardship application in pa of any kind. Is there anything that I can do.


Due to three heart attacks and many months of hospitalization I am disabled at home and I am on some heavy duty narcotics. My mind is not as sharp as it use to me. My wife is old school and is not use to handling situations like this. I do not recall getting notified that this was happening. I am unable to drive any longer so matters involving that cars are not on my mind.


This will really hurt us if my wife cannot get to work.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I understand that your insurance had lapsed, but the only way to get the registration reinstated is to prove that the insurance has been reinstated and go to court to argue that the non-payment was an oversight and not intentional. I am afraid that there is no legal exception for anyone who intentionally does not have insurance because not having insurance impacts everyone else on the road and if you or your wife were in an accident without insurance then who would bear the burden of paying for the damages if you were liable for causing them? The only thing you can do I am afraid is prove insurance has been paid and appeal for an early termination of the vehicle suspension and most judges are understanding enough to do so, but they will not release the registration without proof of current insurance I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have proof that my insurance is in effect and to be honest, it was not an over-sight but it was due to a loss of income. I cannot afford to hire an attorney and I have no clue as to how to go about going to court. We were almost homeless and my wife got a job and if she loses it because of this, we will be on the street. This is causing so much stress on me that I am afraid I will have another heart attach. I am taking morophine and delaudid. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Thank you for your response.

I did catch that you let your insurance go because you could not afford it, but I was trying to tell you that it would have to require you proving it was not economic, but either an oversight or because you were in the hospital at the time it was due and you were just physically unable to pay it. You have to argue one of those good cause reasons and not just you could not pay it as that would cause your appeal to be denied.

You do not have to go to court with this, you file an appeal with the Motor Vehicles Division and they will give you the appeal form to file.