How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27583
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being blackmailed by someone in TX. I live in VA. She

This answer was rated:

I am being blackmailed by someone in TX. I live in VA. She is threatening to expose my infidelity if I dont pay her a monthly allowance. I have already paid over 40k in the past 4 months. Can I sue her for my money back? Is there a statue of limitations?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you have evidence of her actions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes - All this has occurred via email messages - which I have saved and not deleted

Thank you for the additional information. I am glad you said that. The reason being, is that blackmail is a crime in Texas and is often classified as extortion and a theft crime, in the State. I have provided the statute below for your review. With that being said, you have every legal right to contact the police and file criminal charges against her, for her actions. Since this is a crime against the State, if she is prosecuted, the State will represent your legal interest as the victim and obtain restitution for you. This way, you do not have to incur the cost and put forth the effort, to try and recover on your own. If criminal charges were not filed, then you would have to file a civil cause of action against her, to recover. The emails which you have are evidence and can likely be used against her, to support your allegations. When you are asking about the statute of limitations, for a civil suit, you are looking at 2 years. However, it is best to act at once.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, This is very helpful ... Sorry for the delay. A few additional questions ..

1. Is there a statute of limitations for criminal proceedings?? (Can I file a criminal complaint at any time in the future?)

2. What is the legal implication of me telling her that if she divulges evidence of my infidelity I will file a criminal complaint against her??

You are welcome. The statute of limitations would depend on how the State decided to file and charge her but there is likely a 5 year statute of limitations on this and begins to run once she did make this threat. However, I would certainly not wait to report this, since the longer you wait the more problems that could occur. Also, there is nothing wrong with telling her that you will go to the police regarding her extortion, since she is the one who is committing the crime and you are giving her a chance to resolve this, without any type of civil or criminal proceedings.
LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you