Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am licensed as a mental health counselor in the State of

I am licensed as a mental health counselor in the State of Florida. I am also certified as a behavior analyst. I work for a school system. If a child has an IEP under the ESE program and I warn the school the child is a danger to others if allowed to return to school--if the IEP team overrides my vote and allows the child to return to school--am I liable if/when the child hurts someone? Also--should I decline from being listed as a service provider on the child's IEP due to my concern? Or--to say it better...if I am listed as a service provider on the IEP--(such as providing behavior services) am I liable when the child hurts someone even though I will sign a statement indicating my disagreement with the IEP team decision in that the child is allowed to be on a school campus. 

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

I am licensed as a mental health counselor in the State of Florida. I am also certified as a behavior analyst. I work for a school system. If a child has an IEP under the ESE program and I warn the school the child is a danger to others if allowed to return to school--if the IEP team overrides my vote and allows the child to return to school--am I liable if/when the child hurts someone?

Response 1: No, you would not be liable.

Also--should I decline from being listed as a service provider on the child's IEP due to my concern?

Response 2: No, you should not.

Or--to say it better...if I am listed as a service provider on the IEP--(such as providing behavior services) am I liable when the child hurts someone even though I will sign a statement indicating my disagreement with the IEP team decision in that the child is allowed to be on a school campus.

Response 3: No, you are not so long as you document all your communication and misgivings regarding the case.