How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an internet and text relationship with a woman that ended

Customer Question

I had an internet and text relationship with a woman that ended months ago. We never met. I am attempting to reconcile with my family but the woman continues to text and email me. I have now blocked her number and have done all I can on gmail to block her emails (they go straight to "Trash"). The texts are degrading and oftentimes just disgusting.

In the past and just last week she made numerous calls to my family which were either blocked or not answered.

I cannot effect a reconciliation with my family unless I can get her to stop this behavior. I need to take a stand on behalf of my family and myself. What can I do legally or otherwise.

Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your situation.

You can file criminal harassment charges against this person and ask the court for a permanent restraining order against this person, which would prevent any physical contact, phone calls, emails or other contact with you or your family, and if this is violated, the person can be fined and even jailed.

That's the best action you can take as it will establish a court order that prevents any contact, and if violated, she can be looking at jail time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I file in CA to stop this person in AL? She does not threaten violence just annoys with degrading emails, is that enough?

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
You can file in CA, but unless she's physically present there, nothing will come of it because the court can't exercise jurisdiction over her unless she's in the state, and they're not going to go after her to being her there.

Thus, you'd have to file in AL in order to get her in front of a judge and get a binding court order.