Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had an internet and text relationship with a woman that ended

Customer Question
months ago. We never met...
I had an internet and text relationship with a woman that ended months ago. We never met. I am attempting to reconcile with my family but the woman continues to text and email me. I have now blocked her number and have done all I can on gmail to block her emails (they go straight to "Trash"). The texts are degrading and oftentimes just disgusting.

In the past and just last week she made numerous calls to my family which were either blocked or not answered.

I cannot effect a reconciliation with my family unless I can get her to stop this behavior. I need to take a stand on behalf of my family and myself. What can I do legally or otherwise.

Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2013
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 4 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your situation.

You can file criminal harassment charges against this person and ask the court for a permanent restraining order against this person, which would prevent any physical contact, phone calls, emails or other contact with you or your family, and if this is violated, the person can be fined and even jailed.

That's the best action you can take as it will establish a court order that prevents any contact, and if violated, she can be looking at jail time.

Can I file in CA to stop this person in AL? She does not threaten violence just annoys with degrading emails, is that enough?

You can file in CA, but unless she's physically present there, nothing will come of it because the court can't exercise jurisdiction over her unless she's in the state, and they're not going to go after her to being her there.

Thus, you'd have to file in AL in order to get her in front of a judge and get a binding court order.
Roger, Attorney