How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For Paul MJD. On another subject, I want to for a LLC. Is this

This answer was rated:

For Paul MJD. On another subject, I want to for a LLC. Is this something you can walk me through? Such as were to get the forms to this, and what i need to do to get this done. Or should I pay someone online to do this for me?
Thank you for the new question.

Yes, I can walk you through filing to register an LLC, you do not need to pay any services to form them for you.

What is the purpose of the LLC? Will it be doing retail or storefront business in IA or will be it for online type of business?

Please explain a bit more about what you want to do and what the LLC is for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am in the reclaimed lumber business. I take down old barns for the lumber and resell. I also use the lumber and turn into products and sell. Such as portable sheds, swings, ect. Once I have my name and LLC set I will want to build a website. right now I resell just the material and have sold about 6 sheds. Some of the barns I take down I have to buy. So the business will be doing deconstructions and selling lumber and products made from this material. If goes well I also want to invest in a portable mill and a plainer molder for producing molding and trim, possibly flooring. As far as a company name goes Bo's Reclaimed Lumber and Products.

Thank you for your response. I just need to check to determine if you could perhaps benefit from a Nevada or Wyoming LLC, but if you are going to be operating in IA, you are going to need the IA LLC.

No worries though, forming an LLC in IA is pretty simple and you will have no problem figuring it out. You will need to file simply Articles of Organization for the IA Domestic LLC with the Secretary of State's Office (see: You can also file them online when completed at:

The completion of the Articles of Organization, you should be able to easily navigate as they are not very complicated. The purpose of your business you should keep very broad as "to conduct all business that is lawful within the State of IA and the United States, particularly deconstruction and sale of used building products."

Once you file for the LLC, your next step is even easier, it is to obtain an EIN from the IRS, which you can get at the IRS website, and you can get in about a minute without any fees.

Once you have your EIN and you receive your certificate of organization from the Secretary of State, you can then open a bank account, which you need to do, as you need to keep your personal money and your LLC funds separate in order to receive the maximum protection from personal liability the LLC provides. You also, because of your business you are doing, will have to have insurance to protect you from liability (failure to have proper liability insurance can cause the court to find the owner of an LLC personally liable for any damages).

Technically, you should also pay yourself as an employee, even though most accountants will tell you that you save money by not doing so, because if business dies off and you were paid as an employee and unemployment taxes paid, you would be eligible to collect unemployment benefits. However, if you do not pay yourself as an employee, you would not be entitled to unemployment benefits. Same thing with workers compensation, you are in a business where injuries can occur and even though you are an owner and not mandated to have workers compensation on yourself, you should do so for your protection.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you