How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For Paul MJD, Paul I wish hiring a private attorney was an

This answer was rated:

For Paul MJD, Paul I wish hiring a private attorney was an option, just don't have the money for it. As I said before this is the court appointed attorney that keeps saying he is a solo attorney and gets mad when you tell him what we want to do. since depositions, which I would consider went to our favor they pulled the file off of the website iowa courts online and refused to let the defendant view or have any copies of the file. saying the file was on "high security" We went back to the court house with a freedom of information act to file and view the file again and were told the file was occupied this time. After that we find out they are having her pretrial release revoked for what they are saying negative association. We have a copy of her stipulation of her pretrial release and she has not violated any of them. We heard there is a warrant now for her arrest. when we heard that she tried calling her attorney and he wouldn't take her calls. Tried calling him and left messages all week. Then Friday at about noon he calls. she asked if there was a warrant for her arrest. He replied I figured you would have been in jail already and didn't know if there was a warrant or not. We asked him to find out, he said he would call her back. Well we never heard back from him and when we tried calling him back, he was out of office, and you know this is a holiday weekend we were told by his office. He also made the comment, because pretrial is set for the 28th, he was going to continue it because it would look like he set her up if she went and they arrested her. Now the only way the county attorney would know someone was helping her with this case and pull the file is if her attorney told him this. It is clear that her court appointed attorney is working with the county attorney when he makes the comment that the only way the county attorney will look at a plea is if she had some information for us. Us would mean him and the county attorney. Now if he continues this next court date it is just going to be longer before she sees a judge to tell him about what is going on. It is clear her attorney isn't going to do anything about this arrest warrant. There are plenty of others out on signature bonds with alot worse charges then this and don't even have to see a probation officer all the time like she was having to do. I understand she is out on pretrial release, but she hasn't been found guilty of anything yet to be ordered to report to a PO. They UA her and they have all been negative. And she has no prior drug charges. They are charging her with iowa code 124.401(4) a felony. Which in depositions the officer stated she was prob buying the stuff for someone else, which would be a misdemeanor charge of 124.401(3). What can one do about getting this straightened out. It is clear her attorney is going to do nothing about this. Is there something we can file or write to the judge about?
Thank you for your update.

At this point, since you cannot afford a private attorney, it seems this attorney is making every mistake in the book or he at the least is not representing her best interests and you have grounds to file a complaint with the IA Bar Office of Disciplinary Counsel for malpractice and provide them the information that he is not zealously representing her and is making deals with the DA behind her back. Once she makes this complaint the attorney must withdraw from the case and the court must then appoint a new attorney to represent her, who is hopefully better than this clown you have now.

I am afraid that is really the only way you can get rid of this guy and the only way to help her get someone to fight for her rights.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you happen to know where and who I would file the complaint with at the Ia bar Asso. Of if there is a website for this?

Here is the IA Bar Attorney Discipline Site. You can get a complaint form there and all of the instructions to file your complaint.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you