How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I serve on the East Porter County School Board in Indiana.

This answer was rated:

I serve on the East Porter County School Board in Indiana. We will be voting Tuesday Night on whether or not to reduce hours of various classes of employees (Instructional Aides, Bus Drivers, Secretaries, Kitchen Personnel, Custodial Personnel) to avoid offering insurance to Comply with the Affordable Health Care Act. My wife is an Instructional Aide. The School Board President and Superintendent have ask me to fill out a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement and recuse myself from voting. I would be voting on an entire class that does not uniquely affect my spouse. Can I vote on the issue and do I have to fill out a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement

Hello and thanks for submitting this question. Here is the Indiana Code Section on Conflicts of Interest. Section 9 would appear to bar you from participating in the vote. The appearance of impropriety is what the statute seeks to avoid where the public interest is concerned.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.


Irwin Law and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions