Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I serve on the East Porter County School Board in Indiana.

We will be voting Tuesday...
I serve on the East Porter County School Board in Indiana. We will be voting Tuesday Night on whether or not to reduce hours of various classes of employees (Instructional Aides, Bus Drivers, Secretaries, Kitchen Personnel, Custodial Personnel) to avoid offering insurance to Comply with the Affordable Health Care Act. My wife is an Instructional Aide. The School Board President and Superintendent have ask me to fill out a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement and recuse myself from voting. I would be voting on an entire class that does not uniquely affect my spouse. Can I vote on the issue and do I have to fill out a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement
5/25/2013
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Hello and thanks for submitting this question. Here is the Indiana Code Section on Conflicts of Interest. http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title4/ar2/ch6.html Section 9 would appear to bar you from participating in the vote. The appearance of impropriety is what the statute seeks to avoid where the public interest is concerned.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney