RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

my husband has been admitted to a nursing home because of alzheimers, his finances have be

Customer Question

my husband has been admitted to a nursing home because of alzheimers, his finances have been cut in half because of the cost of the home. This change in finances has left me with no money to pay his charge accounts, what are my legal responsibilities to pay these bills.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your husband. If the charge accounts were solely in your husband's name (you were never a co-signer, they are not joint accounts, you did not sign to take personal responsibility for them) you are not responsible to pay for his accounts.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am only on the accounts as a user

Thank you for your reply.

An authorized user has no responsibility to pay the debt. You simply have the right to use the card(s), but no liability in having to pay back the money owed.