How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38183
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited 1/4 of 440 acres along with my siblings. My brother

This answer was rated:

I inherited 1/4 of 440 acres along with my siblings. My brother the personal rep has made
this a complete fiasco and has drug it out 9 months with no end in site. Can I give some-
one power of attorney over this one issue for me? I'm truly sick of all the childish behavior.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Can I give some-one power of attorney over this one issue for me?
What is it that you want the POA to do for you?
What is the reason for the delay?
Has anyone filed a "motion to compel" to force him to appear in front of the probate judge and explain the delay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has hired a new lawyer and won't tell us anything we

have to wait for yet another letter to tell us what the PR

wants to do with the land next because he refused my

sister and my offer to buy my brothers out in cash. My

brothers can't afford to buy us out. I'm sick of my brother

the PR making this a fiasco. I'd like to let someone else

take my place.

Ok, yes, you can designate someone as your agent through a POA and notify the PR that any communication regarding the estate should be directed to the POA holder.
But if you think that he is intentionally delaying adminstering and settling the estate, you can file a motion to compel in the probate court and force him to appear and explain what is taking him so long to settle the estate. If he has taken an inordinate amount of time to take actions which don't normally take very long, the judge can set some time deadlines and actually threaten him with sanctions like personal fines if he doesn't meet the deadlines or have a legally justified reason for not making them.







If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you