How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made the stoppayment on check in amount of $16,500 issued

This answer was rated:

I made the stoppayment on check in amount of $16,500 issued by me.

The purpose of this check was a kind of promise or guarantee to pay back to the payee,
contributor, President of ABC Association who contributed the above amount to ABC Association in order the candidate for the next president to satisfy the requirement of $30,000 in the candidate register. This register money is to be used for the expense of the election and to returned to the President elected if there are remaining. Then, the elected is paying back the above amount to the contributor, subject to the receipt of the register money.

But there was not the actual election with only one candidate and most of the register money remained.

But, the problem came.
The president elected was very sick, sleeplessness, stomach ache, heart breaking and etc.
Therefore, the president elected, submitted the resignation. The Association accepted this.
then appointed the current President as a proxy, agent for the elected president.

The Proxy president received the register money, most of $30,000, on behalf of the elected.

I, resigned President, does not have the duty to pay his contribution money of $16,500 to the proxy, since he received the whole money.
Therefore, I made the stoppayment on my check.

But, the proxy is insisting on for me to pay for the stoppayment check and advising me to sue.

In this case, do I have any defense right here? Please advise me.

Best regards,

Yong Koh
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The proxy is correct in that stopping payment on the check is not the way to solve this civil suit. The proper way to solve the suit would have been to sue him after you issued the check. Once you issue a check for payment that is a legal tender of funds and unless he agreed to the stop payment, you have executed self help in a civil dispute which is frowned upon by the law and you have issued a bad check, which is actually a felony (crime) punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Thus, the proxy is right, you pay the check and you sue for the breach of contract civil dispute you are alleging as your reason for wanting to stop payment.

If you do not want to give him the money directly, then you need to still file suit and you would file a motion when you file suit for permission of the court to put the money from the check in the registry of the court to hold the money until the court decides on your civil suit and this guarantees if you win you can get your money back instead of him spending it all so you cannot get it back.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Lawyer:



Thank you for your good legal advise.


In order for me to suit him, is it possible for me to do the suit after I received the suit from him.


Best regards,


Yong Koh

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
New Jersey Lawyer wanted to answer the question properly.
Thank you for your response. I apologize for the delay, but we are working with multiple customers and sometimes we are online more than 12 hours a day and other days we have actual clients we have to assist. Please accept my apology.

You can sue him in a counter suit after he sues you, but you gain no advantage from that. In fact, he can go to the DA without suing you and file a criminal charge of issuing bad checks and you can be arrested for stopping the payment on the check. This is why you were told to make good on that check and then sue him, that is the proper legal process and the one that will keep you out of jail.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you