How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27167
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my car stolen last year, and i called the police, i got

Customer Question

I had my car stolen last year, and i called the police, i got a case number, i have found my key at the persons house that stole my car.
I want to know how i can prosecute them. I also have witnesses saying who did it, and i have recieved
Property that was stolen from my car. WHAT CAN I DO.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Since you called the police and filed the report, have you done anything else? Are they are of the current situations, which you described above?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi Debra. I just wanted to see if you had a chance to respond to my information request above. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i dont know what else to di.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
At this point, you need to go back to the police, provide them with the case number and share with them the information which you have. If you have a witness, go with them to the police station and let them give a statement as to who they know stole the vehicle, along with yourself, regarding the key and where it was found. The police need evidence. Evidence is not only physical but in the form of testimony. As such, if you know someone who knows who did this, they need to tell the police and allow them to investigate. In the event that the police to not make an arrest, you next step and remedy would be to file a civil lawsuit against the person, for the theft of the car and the damages suffered. You could try and recover monetarily, if the State will not prosecute and recover for you, acting on your behalf, as the victim.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.