How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please assist me, Theresa Mercedes Porter, Caymanian, living

This answer was rated:

Please assist me, Theresa Mercedes Porter, Caymanian, living in Grand Cayman, in confirming that Garth Oniel Porter, Jamaican, supposedly now married to a Canadian citizen and living in Bramton, Ontario, has filed divorce papers in the courts in Ontario and has received a divorce decree which legalizes his marriage in Ontario. Mr. Porter married me to get Caymanian papers in order to get to Canada. I have not had any kind of contact with Mr. Porter from October 2010 but understand that we are legally divorced and he is legally remarried in Canada.

I regret that it violates the website rules for any contributor to make inquiries on behalf of any customer, except for those inquiries which may be made through general database resources available via the internet.

The best that I can do is to provide you with the contact information for the court of appropriate jurisdiction, so that you can contact the court clerk yourself, and ask if a divorce judgment was entered in your spouse's name.

Would this be satisfactory and helpful to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. Would it help if I gave you Ms. Porter's email address? Otherwise, please send the contact information for the court of appropriate jurisdiction. Thank you.

Thank you. No communications outside of this website are permitted. So, it would not help to know the customer's email address.

The court's main phone number is: 1-905-456-4700. The trial office is: 1-905-456-4878. Case management is: 1-905-453-2121 (ext. 8621).

What you are looking for is the clerk who handles family law/domestic relations case files. The clerk can look up the case by party name. If there is a case file, you can obtain a copy of the petition for divorce and/or final judgment. if there is no case file, then there is no divorce.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information provided. However, I have tried the numbers you provided and was told that no information can be obtained over the telephone. I was put through to someone who might have been able to help but I just got an voice mail answer which did not give me an option to leave a short message instead a case number XXXXX required. Can you please say what next I should try.


Thank you.

I called the general number ( 1-905-456-4700), and worked my way through to the automated selections where it asks to speak with court staff. I could have asked the clerk to look up the file -- but, as I am prohibited from doing so, I did not.

I don't know what else to suggest, because I'm not experiencing any difficulty reaching the appropriate personnel.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions