Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello, Fedex broke my TV that was properly packed and accepted/shipped.

The shipment was insured by...
Hello, Fedex broke my TV that was properly packed and accepted/shipped. The shipment was insured by $1000. I initiated claim to recover the loss, however FedEx declines to pay without detailing their decision. I am going to bring an action against them in Illinois State Court as a small claim. Questions: is it possible to sue them in my state? How may I get witness the FedEx driver that accepted the TV? I only know his first name? What form should I use/fill?
5/24/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You can indeed sue FedEx in your state in the IL small claims court. You have the IL court site from the previous question. The forms you file are the same (3310 and 3312), the complaint and summons and you would serve the local FedEx branch office using a process server to serve them.

Once you file your suit and serve them the complaint and summons. You will then have to file a "Motion for Leave to Conduct Discovery" pursuant to IL SCR 287 and ask the court to allow you to send interrogatories to FedEx to learn the full name of the driver who picked up your TV so that you can have the proper name of your witness for the case and the court will grant that order.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you. After I get the drive's name how may I ask the court to call the driver for the witness stand? Is there any forms that I have to fill?

You would obtain a subpoena form from the clerk who signs the subpoenas before they are issued.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney