Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Am I responsible for debts he has accumulated on his two personal

Am I responsible for debts he has accumulated on his two personal credit cards? can he make changes to a truck that is owned by both of us ( like changing from a
regular bed to a flatbed). Without my

Hello, Lois, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

1. Were the credit card debts for purchases for himself ?

2. Was your name also on the title to the truck ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, most of them. A few we're for the farm. Because he is careless with use of credit cards and accrues unnecessary debt, he promised that he wouldn't open another credit card.

Hi, Lois, please accept my apology for the delay. The website has been experiencing technical problems, one of which is difficulty in transmitting Notifications to the expert that the customer has replied to the Information Request.

1. In Answer to your question, if the credit card debt he accrued is for personal items that would benefit only himself, then you cannot be held responsible. Even for the other debt, you can say that you never agreed or consented to using credit cards anymore because he is irresponsible with credit cards and you should not be held responsible for charges that you were never even aware of;

2. Regarding the changes to the truck, he should have known better, and it was very inconsiderate of him to make those changes, but unfortunately, co-owners have equal rights to the vehicle and although he infringed on your ownership rights, he could make the changes. You could argue that because he infringed on your ownership rights, he should pay you the fair market value of your interest in the vehicle,

________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be of assistance,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If we get a divorce and my ex-husband does not want to sell the property, can we still both agree to own property and pay mortgage on it ?

Hi, Lois, Thank you for the "Excellent Service" rating, I appreciate it greatly,

In Answer to your question on holding property after divorce, rather than selling it, Yes, you can still hold onto the property if you don't want to sell. The only difference will be in how title is held. If you bought the property during the marriage, then you probably held it as "Tenants by the Entireties". Since this form of title can be held only by a husband and wife, you and your husband will hold title as "Tenants in Common".

_____________________________________________________________________

for assisting you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do we go about changing the title? And, if I want to sell the property and he doesn't, what are my options?
.