Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello, My daughter is 20 and her car is in my name. We still

Customer Question
Hello, My daughter is 20 and...
My daughter is 20 and her car is in my name. We still owe money on the car. However, I want to put the car in her name. How do I do this?
My husband seems to thin that I need to pay off the car first.
However, I don't know if this is accurate.
Please help.

Thanks,
Gina
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
5/23/2013
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 4 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

You can only transfer a car title with a lien if the leinholder agrees to the transfer. Usually, the lienholder will only allow a transfer IF the loan is paid off because the loan was made based on the credit of the owner listed on the title.

Thus, your husband is right that this is the general rule. But, if your daughter has good credit, the lienholder may agree to transfer the loan to her name, which would allow the title to be transferred.
Roger, Attorney

Ok cool thanks!!

Have a good night

Gina

No problem - - good luck with this.

Also, please let me know if you need something further. Here's a link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-kirkadams/

thank you, all good here.

Have a great one!!

No problem.
Roger, Attorney