How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My daughter is 20 and her car is in my name. We still

Customer Question

My daughter is 20 and her car is in my name. We still owe money on the car. However, I want to put the car in her name. How do I do this?
My husband seems to thin that I need to pay off the car first.
However, I don't know if this is accurate.
Please help.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

You can only transfer a car title with a lien if the leinholder agrees to the transfer. Usually, the lienholder will only allow a transfer IF the loan is paid off because the loan was made based on the credit of the owner listed on the title.

Thus, your husband is right that this is the general rule. But, if your daughter has good credit, the lienholder may agree to transfer the loan to her name, which would allow the title to be transferred.
Roger and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok cool thanks!!

Have a good night


Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
No problem - - good luck with this.

Also, please let me know if you need something further. Here's a link to my profile:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you, all good here.

Have a great one!!

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
No problem.