Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Data collection /Data Mining by credit card payment processors.

Data collection /Data Mining by credit card payment processors. This not about collecting IP address, planting cookies when we surf the internet so it can be sold to companies looking to compile purchasing history. We all use credit cards at stores, and online and Non Bank owned ATM machines. You may know that on the black strip on many credit card has name as well as codes. The question is when a credit card is used at a Non Bank owned ATM or a third party payment processor, either in person or over the phone or online, fulfillment center ( companies that take orders and payments on behalf of merchants that do not have their own merchant account) do you know and is it possible for data collection can "filter out" the credit card number and just use the cardholders name, the type of industry the card was used at, purchasing habits and just sell for profit or use that information to market more items to us and come up with a consumption profile of the card holder purchase activity? In your answer can you provide what the credit card service can and cannot do?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The information you are seeking to mine from the cards which would include the name of the purchaser, would be considered a violation of the credit card company policy on privacy rights of the consumer (I know you are taking out the card number so that would not violate the law) and as such could get you sued by the card company and the consumer for invasion of privacy. Research companies mine consumer data from consumer credit transactions continuously and as long as they do not record the name or credit card number, they are not violating any contractual terms or privacy laws. Using the information of a consumer's name and address to target the consumer directly violates the privacy agreement with the credit card company and the processor as well as the agreement with the cardholders that the credit card company's have to protect the privacy of the customer using the card.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”