Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello I am being sued in small claims court by my father. I

was wondering should and could...
Hello I am being sued in small claims court by my father. I was wondering should and could I seek out a legal counsel to represent me?
5/21/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

I was wondering should and could I seek out a legal counsel to represent me?

Under ORC 1925.01(D), in small claims court, "the appearance of an attorney at law on behalf of any party is permitted but not required."

In other words, you CAN have an attorney, but do not have to. However, it is strongly recommended that
you do, as attorneys are generally more knowledgeable in procedure, evidence, and local rules, so as to help make your case stronger.

May I recommend the Ohio Bar referral program by county - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Do know that you may to file an answer as well (although in small claims court of Ohio, this is not required). If you do file an answer (recommended), it should be mailed to the Court, and a copy to the opposing party. Sample is below:

[caption] - TITLE AND PARTIES (just copy of their filing)

DEFENDANT'S ORIGINAL ANSWER (centered)

NOW COMES Defendant, YOUR NAME, named Defendant in the above-entitled and numbered cause, and files this Original Answer, and shows the Court:

GENERAL DENIAL
Defendant agrees allegations in paragraph 1 of Plaintiff’s pleading.

Defendant denies allegations in paragraph 2 of Plaintiff’s pleading.

Defendant denies allegations in paragraph 3 of Plaintiff’s pleading.

Defendant denies allegations in paragraph 4 of Plaintiff’s pleading.

(etc)

(any other facts you wish to add)

Defendant denies each and every allegation of Plaintiff's Complaint, and demands strict proof thereof as required by rules of evidence and procedure for the State of Ohio.

PRAYER
Defendant prays the Court, after notice and hearing or trial, enters judgment in favor of Defendant, awards Defendant the costs of court, attorney's fees, and such other and further relief as Defendant may be entitled to in law or in equity.

Respectfully submitted,
Your Signature
Your name

(NEW PAGE)

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE (centered)

I certify that on (date filed) a true and correct copy of Defendant's Original Answer was served to the opposing party.

Your Signature
Your name

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Thank you for your information. I have reached out to legal counsel. XXXXXXX
Michelle,

My sincere pleasure, friend! Good luck to you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.

Ely, Counselor at Law