How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This guy wrote this article about this guy who was molesting

This answer was rated:

This guy wrote this article about this guy who was molesting kids at this school. To make a long story short My son went to the school and I was talking to the guy about my experience. He asked me a lot of questions about it and at the end he asked me can I use your name and I said yes. He never told or discussed with me what he was doing. The next day or a couple of days later I went on his facebook page and he had written this article and had my name and my son name in it. I called him and said, why did you do that, if I had known that you were gonna publicize our name I would have never allowed you to use it in that manner, so he immediately took the article down. Later these other two gossiping blogs got hold to it and I asked him to contact them and have them take that down I have never entered into any agreement with them to use my name for anything. He said he contacted them. I am still asking him to remove it and he told me, I contacted them and I can't make them take it down, My question to him was did you give them authorization to take an article you wrote and publicize it without our permssion, You pulled the article now why not you contact them and have them pull the article. This has caused great grief in my family. He told me anytime your name comes up insomething it's automatically goes on the internet. This is not true because the school never did it. I want to know how can I get these people to respond and remove the article of the internet and what type of lawyer I need.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

It sounds like what has happened is that once he ran the story, another blog-site (or more than one) picked it up and ran it as well. It may be an "aggregating" news site, or it may be a private blog, or it may simply be a cached record.

However, the point is that it is available. Normally, unless it is false (defamation), the website can run it. However, the good news is that often, a website will take down information if it receives what is known as a take down notice from an attorney.

A take down notice is essentially a letter threatening to sue unless they take down the information. The letter can allege any number of claims of actions - defamation, invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc. The point is that the letter does not have to prove them but to allege them, and to make the website's owner believe that this suit will be brought unless the site is taken down. Most of the time, the website's owner simply takes down the information to avoid even the possibility of litigation, no matter how strong the suit would be.

May I recommend the CA Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP. The type of attorney needed would be "general practice," "litigation," or "intellectual property."

Normally, such a letter costs no more than about $100 or so. Now you can always write and send such a letter (let me know if you need a sample) but an attorney's letter carries more gravitas since the receiving party knows that the attorney can/will file suit if they have to.

The website's owner can normally be deciphered by the site itself or WHOIS domain registration research.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I never gave them permission to publicly say anything and not only that the story have never been proven.

Even if you have never given them permission to state this publicly, they can.

It is like me stating to my friend "I like Suzy but do not tell anyone." Then my friend goes and tells Suzy this. I may not like it, but no law states that once information is given that it may not be repeated, unless the person you spoke to signed a non-disclosure agreement.

But again, you can likely intimidate the websites by a take-down letter to take this matter down, regardless. I understand that this is your primary objective, and if so, that is how it could be achieved.

Surely you prefer that I be honest in my answer – please remember that rating negatively due to receiving bad news still hurts the expert – it is simply the way that the system is set up. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. (You may always ask follow ups free after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What kind of lawyer do I need. Like, family, personal injury. etc?

I added this unto my original question after first rendering it, but you may not have seen the addition - my apologies for this.

The type of attorney needed would be "general practice," "litigation," or "intellectual property."

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.