How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is being harassed by a police officer on Facebooks

This answer was rated:

My sister is being harassed by a police officer on Facebooks as well as being threatened. The police office is the wife of my sisters ex. They have filed falsified restraining orders and had my sister arrested, called my sisters kids schools and tried to get the kids removed from the school, had the kids removed from baseball programs due to phone calls from this woman. Letters have been sent to my sisters neighbors telling them that my sister is dangerous and telling them things from my sisters past in order to get the friends and neighbors to turn against my sister. The police officers son was arrested by another police department for vandalizing my sisters car to the tune of $4000. They have had her evicted, intimidated, arrested and are also avoiding paying child support stating that they ex and the police officer are separated and he is paying support to his current wife for their son and then posting on Facebook they are happily married. Just recently this officer posted a picture of my sister on Facebook telling everyone that could see the post that she is dangerous and to call the police if she is in the area, which she does not go to due to her being so scared and intimidated. we have reported this officer to the Watch Commander and IA, they say they are investigating her, but she is still posting the hateful comments and veiled threats on Facebook. We are at a loss as to what to do, but we need to have it stopped. My nephews are terrified and want to leave the state but are still worried that she will track them down and continue to call their schools and spread lies to get the coaches against the kids, which she has been successful in doing. What recourse do we have to get this stopped. I feel as is this officer has put a target on my sisters head and that someone may take it upon themselves to take care of the so called dangerous person my sister has been made out to be. The ex is involved in a lawsuit for fraud and lying about an accident. You can read about it if you search Anthony Parente hermosa beach cop, boots up. Please help us in getting some direction regarding this extremely sensitive matter. We have tons of documents to back up what I am posting here.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first step in this matter is the step you have already taken, making the complaint to IAD.

Next, to stop the continued harassment and lies, you would need to file a civil suit against her for harassment and defamation/slander/libel, and for the common law tort of false light (which is one of the invasion of privacy torts) for making known false statements and publishing them with malice such that they cause you harm in your community. As part of the civil suit against her you would file for a temporary restraining order to prevent her from making any further comments regarding your sister or her family.

I am afraid the civil suit at this point is your only recourse to get this matter stopped. Because the false statements are not just about her, but against her children, she is going to need a local attorney to represent her and her family against the woman making the statements.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick response. Is the conduct of the officer considered criminal in any way? One possible issue is that my sister did get arrested for shoplifting 18 years ago and this police officer is accessing her records and making my sisters past known as well as supplying copies of arrest records. There are so many aspects to this situation it's ridiculous. We just want this harassment stopped. My sister can't even get a job because this woman keeps giving my sisters past to everyone she can. My sister has since had her record expunged. What type of attorney do I look for and do they take these kinds of cases on contingency?
Thank you for your response.

I am afraid the conduct is not criminal, as she has the right to make statements about your sister. The legal issue is that she is making known false statements about her or publishing statements with malice, which are actions governed by the civil law.

This would require a local general litigation attorney to file suit against the woman.