How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a diamond ring yesterday for my wife. For 25000$.

Customer Question

I purchased a diamond ring yesterday for my wife. For 25000$. We look for prices for same ring in a couple of places and interned. We found that the prices are $10,000 dollars cheaper. We went to return the ring and they say that beacouse it was mounted it can't be return. The policy says that you could have 90 days mony back guaranty. They say they won't be able to allow a return because it was mounted in the band. What shoul I do? This is in california
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, the store is technically correct. By mounting the stone, you arguably modified the item and as a consequence can no longer return it. If you bought a stone and kept it, without being mounted, then they would have to return the stone. But if you mounted the stone, it would really change the return policy.

My answer, however, would differ if they were the ones who mounted the stone. If they did all the work, sold you both the stone and the ring, and granted you a 90 day guarantee, THEN they are obligated to take it back. If they fail to do so, contact the Better Business Bureau, the California Attorney General's office on consumer protection, and then file suit in court for the value of the promised return.

Good luck.

Related Legal Questions