How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Ohio is inheritance dividable in a legal separation or a

Customer Question

In Ohio is inheritance dividable in a legal separation or a divorce?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and concern. Most of the time, the inheritance would not be divisible in a legal separation or divorce since an inheritance is considered separate property under Ohio code 3105.171, which I have provided a link below, so you can see. Of course, if the inheritance was received, then commingled with other funds that would be considered marital assets or used to buy things, it may be more difficult to identify the roots of the money and trace it back.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband wants a legal seperation and is willingly offering me 1/2 of his inheritance. Will a legal document stating that stand up in the courts?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
A complaint requesting a legal separation must be filed in the domestic relations division of the local common pleas court, or if there is no domestic relations division, in the general division of the common pleas court. The parties may enter into a separation agreement that addresses issues such as spousal support, child custody and visitation, child support, property division, and/or payment of marital debts.If there is no separation agreement, the court, after hearing testimony and taking evidence, will determine child custody and visitation and, as appropriate, order spousal support, child support, and division of the marital property and debts. It would be within these documents, that this agreement is reduced to writing so it can be enforced, so he will need to comply.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi Debbie. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!