How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I missed a court date and the court voted in favor of the plaintiff.

Customer Question

I missed a court date and the court voted in favor of the plaintiff.
(I was being sued in small claims by a
Crooked divorce attorney who took off to Florida in the middle of drafing my divorce agreement, telling me when she was on her way
To the airport that oh by the fill out the ny state forms
Yourself and the edits on the separation agreement, and if your
Violent husband doesn't agree I've decided I'm retiring from litigation and you'll have to find someone else. This is in the middle
Of a retainer I had paid her.
Then she had the nerve to send me
A bill for $4k.
The reason I missed the court date: I had bought a
New iPhone at the beginning of 2013. I had set the court date in 2012 on my old phone. Somehow the data transfer didn't work right so I had the date
Wrong on my iPhone calendar.
Also when I got the iPhone alert 10 days prior I called the court to check. It took me four solid days to get thru on the phone and I was out of town on business. By the time
I gr through they said I missed the date. Then they denied my request to reopen. Is there a precedent I can appeal
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Have you actually filed a motion to set aside the default judgment?
Or did you just ask the clerks if they could do it?
What state is this in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
New York State, and yes, as stated
Above they denied my official request to reopen the case. I jus got the letter in the mail Friday denying it. Kingston city court ny.
It said my reason wasn't good enough so I wanted to appeal and cute some precedent.

How does this work in terms of
Me being charged. I'm
Not paying $45 each time I reply
To you and you reply to me am I? Hope not.
If so , for affordability reasons, I just we my original question answered--precedent to get a hearing reopened because I missed the court date.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear this.

Did your attorney file anything in Court stating he was no longer representing you?

Which State was the divorce case filed in?