Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My son completed course work at UNF for a Masters in business.

My son completed course work at UNF for a Masters in business. $30,000 dollars and two years latter they wont award the degree because a 3.00 is required and he only has a 2.99. They want him to keep taking courses at the graduate level untill it gets to a 3.00, which means he can get nothing but A's. They adimitted him below a 3.00 and allowed him to continue below 3.00, in fact henever had above a 3.00 in his entire college career. These are also rules of the college that they looked the other way on to his detriment. Selective enforcement?

He has to move out of Jacksonville soon for his job so he can't even attempt to take more classes and another college /university won't work because last 30 hours have to be at UNF.

Can I sue for fraud, selective enforcement, detrimental reliance?

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

I am sorry to hear about your son's difficult situation.

If UNF is refusing to change their decision, then a lawsuit will have to be filed against UNF. However, there are two things your son must do before filing the lawsuit. First, he must look at the rules which UNF had in place at the time your son entered as a student. If there was no requirement of a 3.0 average in order to graduate, then he might be able to win on those grounds. If, however, the rule was already in place at the time he entered the Master's Program, then UNF will argue that by entering the MBA Program, he accepted the Academic requirements for graduation.

If the requirement of a 3.0 average was in place when he entered the MBA Program, but UNF only selectively enforced it by imposing the requirement on only some students, but exempting other students from this requirement, then your son would sue on those grounds,IF I HAVE NOT FULLY ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, PLEASE USE THE "REPLY" BUTTON TO LET ME KNOW AND I WILL BE GLAD TO EXPLAIN FURTHER,

____________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be of assistance,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The 3.00 graduation rule was in place when he entered the program as well as the 3.00 rule to be mainatined while in graduate school. UNF will not waive the first rule but waived the latter.

We are not aware of them waiving the graduation 3.00 rule.

I don't want to threaten them with a lawsuit if it has no basis. The President of the college is an Attorney also.

My son is not a minor and I would sue. Do I as the father have standing for the suit? I paid his tuition and funded his educational trust fund.

Thank you for your additional information,

I am a mother of two daughters of college age, so believe me when I tell you that I truly understand your frustration.

1. If your son is no longer a minor, then any lawsuit would have to be instituted by your son because he is the affected student. I understand your position implicitly because we, as parents, have a lot at stake because of the large financial commitment we make towards our children's education. However, you would not have standing to sue,

2. If the requirement that a student have a 3.0 average in order to graduate was in place at the time he started, then by entering the MBA program, he accepted all the terms, conditions, and requirements for graduation established by UNF. If UNF will not waive this requirement, it would be a wasting money to file a lawsuit because UNF can successfully argue that they established these requirements, they were in force when your son entered their MBA Program, by entering the MBA Program, all students are deemed to accept the requirements, and if they do not meet the requirements, they are not eligible for graduation.

___________________________________________________________________

I am sorry that I cannot give you the Answer you were hoping for. Please understand that I have an ethical obligation to give you only correct Answers and information, so I am kindly requesting that you not hold this against me when rating my service to you. Thank you for understanding,

for assisting you,

ANDREA