How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was sentenced to 3 years probation, 200 hours of community

This answer was rated:

I was sentenced to 3 years probation, 200 hours of community service, and a $1500 fine for a felony 3 posetion of a controlled subtance. Have paid all of my money up and am in good standing as far as that goes and have been a model probatee but still have quite a bit of community service to do and will not finish in time. I work 6 days, about 53 to 57 hours a week and my job will not allow time off with out loosing my job. My probation is up in a month, what should I do?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : As you know, if you don't complete all terms of your sentence, then you could be facing trouble with the judge.
Kirk Adams : The best thing you can do is speak with your probation officer about the issue and ask him/her for guidance on how to proceed.
Kirk Adams : It may be that the best option is to ask for an extension of your time to give you more time to get this done.
Kirk Adams : Because you've been able to complete the other terms of your probation, your PO should be able to give you a hand with this and try to work something out to give you more time.
Customer: Thats what I was planning on doing, Should I do this through my lawyer?
Kirk Adams : YES - - if you have an attorney, I would speak to him about it.
Kirk Adams : Your attorney can likely file a motion with the court explaining that ALL other terms of your probation have been completed, but because of your job, you haven't been able to complete the community service, and ask for additional time to get this done.
Customer: Im actually serving my probation in New Orleans but this is issue is back in houston and its been a nightmare to get either one of my probation officers to even give me the time of day
Kirk Adams : Yeah, in that case, you may just want to get your attorney to file a motion with the court and get the issue before the judge asap - - just skip trying to consult the PO.
Customer: ok, thanks for the help
Kirk Adams : No problem. Glad to help.
Kirk Adams : Thanks for allowing me to assist you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Roger and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you