Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What do you when you are the subject of a grand jury investigation

but have no clear facts...
What do you when you are the subject of a grand jury investigation but have no clear facts but idea and evidence of the same.
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2013
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney

TexLawyer : Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.
TexLawyer : What makes you think you are the subject of a GJ investigation? Were you informed by the DA?
Customer: No I called a PI today and explained the observed situations and he suggested that might what going on since I have not be fined, brought to court, or arrested by the police.
TexLawyer : OK. Grand Jury investigations are done in secret, until the DA decides to let the target know, or an indictment is returned (and the person is arrested). A person that is the target has no legal right to know before either of those things happen.
TexLawyer : The best thing a person who thinks they may be a target of a GJ investigation could do is hire an attorney, who can make efforts with the DA to find out what is going on and, potentially, make that person available to testify before the GJ.
Customer: Yes that is what he explained to me. However, my question to you what am I to do in the mean time. Wait, of course, until there is decision to inform me or arrest me. Right now, it appears I am under some kinda house of arrest. There are hidden cameras, unusal sounds, lights, and frequent movement of the above neighbor in the same direction I travel, mostly at night. Even the locals seems to look at me with broad eyes of awareness.
TexLawyer : If you haven't been charged with a crime, nobody should be preventing you from leaving your home.
Customer: No has prevented me from coming or going. However, as the PI stated it is not usual for the process to incoroporate spy camera, hearing devices, and I guest eye witnesses that live close by. For what you have stated, I need an attorney now. Which type?
TexLawyer : If you feel that you are the subject of an investigation, you should contact a criminal attorney.
Customer: ok. will do. Anyother suggestion for the $50.00.
TexLawyer : Yes. First, if you are doing anything illegal, stop. Second, I would try to not assume you are the subject of an investigation until you have confirmed it. There is no sense worrying about something you have no control over.
Customer: Ok- that what everyone says, But the observations and things I have seen make it all the more obvious this is the case. So, I should contact a criminal attorney ASAP!
TexLawyer : Yes.
TexLawyer : Is there anything else I can do for you?
Customer: Yes one more
TexLawyer : Sure.
Customer: Can they enter your property without your knowledge. And secondly, is remote access to your computer and cellphone apart of the investigation.
Customer: ???
TexLawyer : They cannot do either without a warrant.
Customer: ok that makes me feel better. Thanks. Forgot your name.
TexLawyer : Glad to help.
TexLawyer : If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck!
Customer: of course. No this will set me to getting things going.
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney