How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

re: divorce in massachusetts --what happens if one of the

This answer was rated:

re: divorce in massachusetts

--what happens if one of the parties in the divorce does not show up at court on the court date of the divorce?
---if the divorce is not contested is all paperwork necessary. the reason for the question is that the husband is not signing the paperwork event though it is a non contested div.
---can the attorney go to court on the day of the divorce and rep the wife? or is it necessary for the wife to appear with attorney.
---if husband doesn't answer attorney or wife to fill in the paperwork what happens then?
thank you
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

If your husband fails to show up on the court date, then a divorce should be granted by default. This means that whatever you ask for should be granted.

Even if the divorce is not contested, all of the procedural paperwork would be required. If he's not signing the documents, then you would just have to serve copies on him and he will be defaulted by the court. Basically, if the husband doesn't cooperate, the divorce would be contested in the sense that he will not agree, but you should prevail by default.

You would need to go to court with your attorney so you can provide testimony to the court about your petition and request for divorce. However, it should be a simple process if your husband doesn't appear.

Roger and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you