Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello, I am trying to gain some bit of feedback on whether

Hello, I am trying to gain...

I am trying to gain some bit of feedback on whether or not this case is pursuable before I provide a retainer fee. I have been dealing with this matter for some time now and it has not gone away, in fact it has gotten worse and even spiraled out of control. I am harassed on my job, when I go to restaurants and or shopping, I am followed and treated very badly by the staff and management. It resulted from a government job I left to which the matter started out very small with my former employer badmouthing me all the way to full on defamation and severely damaging information being spread. These acts have all been done for the purposes of preventing me from moving on to better employment and to run me out of the community. I have put up with it for as long as I could as mentioned in hopes it would just go away. Now the police are involved and assisting in the harassment. The lies and defamation has been spread to businesses and the businesses are spreading the information to customers. There are many times that I feel threatened for my safety and well being. I have a witness to all of this. How should I handle this situation? If I react to how I am being treated, it is deemed as though I am paranoid and or crazy, when I have as mentioned a witness to the matters...
5/17/2013
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

You mentioned that you have a witness. Who is this person? Is this someone who is your friend, relative, significant other?
I rather not specify the relationship at this time but it is someone very close to me.
Lanita,I ask because that would be the first question any opposing party would raise. If this is someone close, for example, then on that basis alone their testimony may be deemed suspected or more likely to favor you as per your relationship. Please understand that I am not seeking the direct details here, I am simply pointing out that while you do not have to provide that to me, on that basis alone your witness's testimony many be deemed less credible or potentially untrue. I am not sating that is the case, simply that having a witness is not all there is to it, the witness ideally should be a disinterested party who simply reports on what is seen, not someone who many have their own interest in the proceedings. As a consequence I really cannot grant as much value to your witness as you may wish to do.Hope that helps.
Dimitri thanks for your response; however not only do I have a witness to the accounts, I also have video/audio recordings of most of the acts and or behavior along with the witness. The witness has no personal stake in the matter only my best interest as they see the acts that are carried are out control and is causing a threat to my personal safety.
Lanita,You are most welcome. I am just trying to give you some level-headed neutral third party feedback as you requested. By stating that witness has no personal stake in the matter but just your best interest as they see it IS actually a personal stake. They want you to prevail, that makes them no longer disinterested. That does not mean their testimony has no value, merely that it is not as powerful as you may hope. Evidence such as recordings, audio, video, and so forth is far more effective, direct, and harder to point to that there is some sort of a personal stake in the proceedings.
So how do I go about handling this if I have the proof such as video/audio? These matters are putting my life in danger....
Lanita,If you feel that your life is in danger, then retain counsel. Consider browsing the listings at www.avvo.com and wwww.martindale.com for competent counsel in your area who may be able to assist you directly.Please be well.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney