How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have a case against my sister in law for reporting me

This answer was rated:

Do I have a case against my sister in law for reporting me to the inspector general office for the kind of health insurance that I and my disabled husband have that is not acceptable to her?we have had it for four years and my husband has benefited from it since. she has threatened me to report to the inspector general that I'm withholding treatment of a disabled individual based on our insurance policy alone with a deductible of 2500 which I pay, but covers physical therapy 100% for 30visits a year.I want to file a defamation, libel suit against her. I kept a transcript of all her text messages. Please help. She reported me to the inspector general 5/16/13

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,



I am sorry your sister in law is giving you this trouble. I will list the elements of a defamation lawsuit which you, as the Plaintiff will have to prove in order to win a judgment against your sister in law in such a case. You can then apply these elements of proof to your specific situation and see how strong your case is.


Elements of a Defamation Lawsuit which a Plaintiff Must Prove:


1. The Defendant made a false statemet;

2. The Defendant made the statement knowing that it was false, or in reckless disregard for the truthfulness of the statement;

3. The Defendant "published" this statement - This means that she made the statement, or wrote the statement and conveyed it to a third person - Here, that would be the Office of the Inspector General; and

4. The Plaintiff (You) suffered damages as a result of these defamatory statements.




You should make an appointment to speak with an attorney with experience in defamation lawsuits and take all your evidence with you. These cases are usually taken on a contingency fee so that the lawyer will be paid from any judgment, settlement, or verdict the lawyer obtains for you so that you do not have any out of pocket expenses and you do not have to pay legal fees if the lawyer does not win your case for you.


If you do not know a lawyer with this kind of experience, you can call your County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service, tell them what your situation is and ask for the names of several lawyers, then select the one with whom you feel the most comfortable,


I wish you the very best of Luck,




Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I can receive credit for researching your question and providing you with a method to resolve your situation, otherwise I will not receive any credit for assisting you,



Bonus and Positive Feedback on Survey are greatly appreciated,




Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be of service,







Andrea, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to report this threat and harassment to the disability protective agency and the attorney general. Can you provide me of their address and phone no. I appreciate your reply.
Thank you for givig e a positive rating, I appreciate it greatly,

I would be glad to give you all the ontact information I find, but I need to know for which State,

Q. In which State do you reside ?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I apologize.. I am from new jersey. Thank you for your response.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am from new jersey
Here is the Official Website of the New Jersey State Attorney General's Office which contains all their contact information:

New Jersey Protection and Advocacy: