Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My sisters family is facing over $75,000 in medical bills

My sister's family is facing...
My sister's family is facing over $75,000 in medical bills (and growing) from co-pays and out of pocket expenses due to her husband's mantle cell lymphoma treatments. They are both on SS disability, so they are on a fixed limited income. They have absolutely no funds and no equity in their home. What will happen to my sister if she is left alone with this debt? Her husband has some life insurance, but would that all be taken away to pay his medical costs, leaving her destitute?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/15/2013
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Has your sister signed off as being responsible for the medical debts?

Customer:

No. How does she do that?

JD 1992 :

Sometimes when couples go to a doctor's office or hospital they will try and get the spouse to sign off as being responsible for the debt. That is the only way she would be personally responsible for the bills.

JD 1992 :

If she is designated as the beneficiary on the life insurance then it would go directly to her and wouldn't be subject to the bills or debts of her husband.

JD 1992 :

It's different in some states but in FL the courts and legislature have specifically done away with the spouse being liable for the other spouse's debts.

JD 1992 :

Are you still online?

Customer:

yes

JD 1992 :

Did you have additional questions?

Customer:

If she has at this point signed anything that would make her responsible, can she reverse that? Also, can they deny treatment if she does not sign?

JD 1992 :

She could send a letter saying she is not responsible for any treatments in the future and that should cut off the debt as of that date. She would want to send the letter by certified mail. I don't think they could stop treatment on him because she doesn't want to be responsible, that would be unethical.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and I certainly wish you and your sister the best.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney