How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27634
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Possesion of Muse

Customer Question

 I have to appear in front of criminal court in NYC today for illegal possession of muse accident, which is apparently a crime in NYC. I have a pink summon handed to me by the police officer. However, I'm considering not to appear in front of the court due to severe health problem.( though I don't have an official medical document). My question is: If i won't appear in front of the court today what's going to happed next? : a) will court plead me guilty automatically and send a fine to my home address? Or b)will the judge issue arrest warrant and police officer come to my home in order to arrest me? C) generally speaking, how serious crime illegal possession of muse is in NYC?

Why dies it take so long? I paid extra $10 for the urgency. Are you sleeping?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I am sorry for the delay. If a defendant fails to appear before the court, as ordered, then a warrant will likely be issued for their arrest. The Judge will not proceed with the manner or take any court action, until the warrant is either served on you or lifted and the case is reset, so you can appear. If a warrant is issued, the police will not come to your home right away, to arrest you. They may try and serve the warrant on you at some point but there is no way of knowing if it will happen today or in a week from now. As such, if you fail to appear, you would want to file a motion with the court explaining to the Judge why you failed to appear, provide evidence to support it and ask that the capias be lifted and court date be reset, so you can appear. This would avoid you having to be served with the warrant and then bond yourself out. As far as the seriousness of the charge, it could result in having a criminal record, so you want to decide if you want to fight this or take a plea deal. As I am sure you are aware, a fine can be imposed along with jail time, if the court sees fit. If you are a first time offender, the court is unlikely to seek any jail time but may impose a fine, court costs and possible some type of probationary sentence, if needed. Why you appear before the court, you can ask for an offer to try and resolve this and see if one is given, that you are comfortable accepting. The goal is always to try and minimize the repercussion.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!