Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Sweepstakes time limitation. I had received a packet from

Sweepstakes time limitation. I had...
Sweepstakes time limitation.
I had received a packet from a sweepstakes company, I this packet it stated that I was a guarantied winner of between $1 and $10,000. I received a piece of cheap jewelry from the company, I call to check about the money and was told that they substituted for the money. I couldn't find anywhere were they stated about substitutes. Is there any action that I can take, and is there a limitation of time for such cases.
5/14/2013
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Do you have the name of the company or sweepstakes? I'd like to see if I can find the terms and conditions somewhere. Also, did you have to do anything in order to win?

It's PCH, but it's been several years, that's why I was asking about time limitations on these types of issues.

Ok, thank you.

If you have an agreement, then it's a breach of contract action, and the statute of limitations is four years in Pennsylvania. However, the PCH terms of use provide that it's based on the laws of New York, where the statute of limitations is six years. That clause is binding. It also says that you agree to submit to binding arbitration instead of suing, and that you agree to do it in New York City.

The rules can differ, and may have changed, but the current rules do allow them to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for all cash prizes won. (See paragraph 7)

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney