Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Legal Expert
19305272

I have been in business with my father for over 10 years in

I have been in business with my father for over 10 years in the Crane Sales and Service business in Texas. Over the last four years, he has systematically squeezed me out of the business (I own 10% and he owns 90%) after we started becoming very successful. My health had begun to fail so I was no longer able to be by his side 24/7 and he hired a man to work in our office who is now his right-hand confidant empowered to handle everything I used to take care of. This man literally divided my family's once close relationship and destroyed my reputation with lies while he took over. I was told that I was not a Board Member of my own company, shut out of all deals made with customers and lenders and now my father will not even speak to me. I have an appointment with a very highly regarded attorney this Thursday to discuss the incidents that have led me into financial ruin and he has asked for an outline of what has happened. I've tried to write a summary sheet with a time-line following describing each incident but I'm lost as to how to present this nightmarish history so that it won't appear to be nothing more than a rambling narrative and I won't seem like an emotionally charged disgruntled daughter who didn't get her way. Can you please suggest a format I can follow to make my time with this attorney count and based on the facts persuade this attorney to take my case?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this. I'm providing you with a link to an article that will go through the law that protects you in the situation that you're facing.

TMcJD :

http://www.hbtlj.org/v09p1/v09p1mollar.pdf

TMcJD :

Basically, what the attorney is going to want to know first is what were your expectations. Your expectations will have been based on factors such as whether this was an existing business or whether you and your father started it together.

TMcJD :

Other factors might also be how long you worked there before you became ill. Whether you could still work there given your current health, your current expectations, etc.

TMcJD :

Essentially, with a close corporation, the shareholders owe the same duties of care and loyalty to each other that partners in a partnership owe to each other. You can't use majority control to squeeze out the other shareholder that has a legitimate expectation of employment and daily management, activity, etc. in the corporation.

TMcJD :

Take a look at the article at the link provided and I think you'll be able to organize your facts and thoughts in a way that will be meaningful to your attorney because your whole case will be based on how facts you provide relate to the law discussed in that article.

Customer:

Thank you. I'm going to go to this link. I will re-contact you if I have questions.

TMcJD :

Sounds great. Thanks.

TMcJD :

If, after reviewing the article, you do not need additional assistance. I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without a positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation of JustAnswer experts. Thanks!