How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12359
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have sleep apnea, diabeties and im a viet nam blue water,

This answer was rated:

I have sleep apnea, diabeties and im a viet nam blue water, I work for tsa and these guys
want to fire me for nodding off.
I have let them what was wrong with me 5years ago,and now I under stand they want too get rid of me
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I'm sorry to say that you're in a tough spot. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires an employer to make reasonable accommodations for an employee with a disability so long as the accommodation is not overly burdensome. Unfortunately, an employer would likely have a good argument that it is overly burdensome for an employee to nod off at work.

But if you are fired, I would certainly file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC is responsible for investigating illegal discrimination in the workplace. Once the EEOC investigates, it could agree that illegal discrimination took place, and attempt to work out a settlement with the employer. If the EEOC cannot work out a settlement, or if the EEOC does not find that there was illegal discrimination, then a person can request a right to sue letter, which gives her the right to sue her employer for violating the law. The EEOC's website, located HERE, explains how to file a charge.

If you still have time to save the job, then I would reiterate to your employer your health issues, and request for an adjustment in schedule (if possible) that will help prevent you from nodding off in the future. In other words, I would show your employer that you are taking this seriously, and that you are taking the lead in making sure it doesn't happen again.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.
TJ, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you