How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28363
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has defaulted on over $100,000 in student loans. Neither

This answer was rated:

My wife has defaulted on over $100,000 in student loans. Neither her or her cosigner are able to pay them. I am the only one that has a decent income. Is there anyway to make her student loans go away without paying all this money.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and concern. In a situation like this, you can try and settle with Sallie Mae, if you have the ability to make a lump sum payment. If the loans are over $100,000, they would likely discount the total amount of the loan if you could offer an amount and pay it in full. If you can not afford a large, lump sum payment, then your wife or the co-signor would have to contact SM and arrange to be set up on a payment plan. If things can not work out, SM will likely sue on the debt, obtain a judgment and then go after the wages of either your wife or the co-signor. Both parties, who signed on the loan, are legally obligated to pay it. SM is not just going to let this go and will continue to pursue the large amount owed. I know you said above that you want to make this go away without her having to pay all this money but unless she has a legal defense to raise to the debt owed, the money will need to be paid. It will be a matter if it is discounted and paid with a lump sum, if a payment plan is worked out or if they will sue and obtain a judgment and then look to enforce it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you