How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A family therapist is being assigned to our family. My exs

Customer Question

A family therapist is being assigned to our family. My ex's attorney wants a specific therapist appointed who I already know is pre-alligned with him and in my initial dealings with him dishonest.

There is alienation of affection going on in this case and I need a person trained in this. My ex's attorney is arguing that the therapist he wants lives closer to my ex husband's house than the one I suggested. We are talking about a six more minute drive.

It is going to be emotional suicide for my kids and myself if we do not go with someone specialized in alienation of affection and honest.

I have a hearing this Monday on the issue before the judge.

If she does not agree, I am wondering if I can take an appeal on this decision.

We have a court hearing in July which is when my ex's attorney wants the issue heard.

My question is if the judge does not go along with my suggestion, when would be the best time to appeal this decision-- after Monday or after the hearing in July?

In July I can have an expert come in that I have hired who can testify why a person trained in alienation of affection is vital to the case.

Would my appeal have more weight after his testimony?

Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first thing you need to realize here is that alienation of affection is not recognized by the courts in CT. An action for intentional infliction of emotional distress cannot be maintained where underlying claim for alienation of affection is not actionable and emotional distress is the alleged consequence of same acts causing child to separate from parent. See: Bouchard v. Sundberg, 80 Conn.App. 180, 834 A.2d 744 (Conn. App., 2003).

In fact, the courts in CT do not even recognize Parental Alienation Syndrome. See: Snyder v. Cedar, No. NNH CV01 0454296 (CT, 2006).

Thus, you will have to base your argument on something else, which means comparing the CV of the therapist your ex is suggesting to the CV of the one you are suggesting and argue that your therapist specializes in and has more experience with child custody issues.

You can appeal the choice of therapist as it is a final order in the case should you disagree and you should appeal immediately. Additionally, even if the ex's therapist is chosen, you can still take the children to another expert therapist and then use their testimony to challenge the credibility of your ex's expert.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”