How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 795
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, my name is Roly. Im a former US Marine, and was convicted

This answer was rated:

Hello, my name is Roly. I'm a former US Marine, and was convicted in 2000 in a federal court. I had a concealed weapon's license at the time, and was carrying a firearm during, resulting in a mandatory 5 year sentence for that gun. I was in prison until January 2006, and released from probation June of 2009. My question, like I'm sure many others have asked, is whether or not there is a process for reinstating my gun rights. I am an avid hunter, I have never had a record prior to, or after my arrest, never had a failed drug test, or DUI, and I''ve been employed since the moment I was released. I am now married with two kids, and I can probably have 15 well respected individuals testify to my credibility and status. I simply like firearms and the woods, and would like the opportunity to LEGALLY take my son hunting and fishing with me in the future. Please advise. Thank you.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

I hate to be the bear of bad news but there is only two ways currently to have your rights to possess a firearm restored after being convicted and sentenced on a federal offense.

One is to have the conviction set aside as being invalid or improperly obtained. This is only possible in the rarest of circumstances. You have stated nothing that leads me to believe that this is a viable option for you. Circumstances where this may work is in cases of police or prosecutorial misconduct or recantation of a victim.

The only other way is to seek and have granted a Presidential pardon. This is a difficult and rare remedy. So far President Obama has granted 23. President George W. Bush granted 176. You can see how many other pardons have been granted here.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1 and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you