How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16627
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney is filing a motion to suspend a disputed child

This answer was rated:

My attorney is filing a motion to suspend
a disputed child support arrears pending an appeal
of a judge's prior ruling. I dispute that I owe
anything and the Office of Child support services
says I owe 23K. My license has been suspended
for something that I really don't even owe.
This is an attempt to get my license reinstated.

1. Will this likely work?
2. Do I have to appear in court or can my attorney
appear without me. I am a doctor who has
patient responsibilities in the court date.
I will be in Florida and the case is in Georgia.
3. If he can appear without me, what documents
are needed for him to do that?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

1) There is no way to predict whether the judge would grant this motion, as the judge will have a lot of discretion to make a decision based on testimony, evidence and facts presented by both sides at the court hearing when this motion will be heard before the court.

2) You should consult with your local attorney and follow your local attorney's advise very closely, on this and any other legal issues related to your case, however generally your appearance would be required, as you would have to testify before the court, but the court might allow you to testify telephonically, as long as there would be someone at your location, who is legally permitted to administer an oath.

3) Once again, this is a question that you do need to direct to your local attorney, but generally any documents that would support your position and your basis for the motion should be presented to the court.

If you are unable to appear on a specific date, your attorney might also be able to reschedule the hearing, if the court would not allow you to testify via phone.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you