Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can you sue someone and hire a collection agency at the same

time in the state of...
Can you sue someone and hire a collection agency at the same time in the state of Texas?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/10/2013
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Would you mind sharing with me the basis to sue the collection agency and why you need to hire one? Also, are these two different causes of action?
I am being sued by a construction contractor and just received notification that he has also hired a collection agency to come after me which has called my cell phone and work number and now sent a notification via mail as well.
Carrie, thank you for the additional information. Normally, a party will hire a collection agency PRIOR to filing a lawsuit against an individual, in hopes that the debt can be settled and litigation can be avoided. This way, attorneys fees and costs do not have to be incurred. It seems odd is that if a lawsuit has been filed against you, that the contractor also hired an outside collection agency, since the matter is now before the court and will be up to a Judge or Jury to decide, if it goes to trial. It is possible that the contractor did not reveal to the collection agency that the matter is been filed with the court and there is a pending case, so you can advise them of such. Moreover, you can address this issue with the Judge, if they are harassing you and you have no intention of speaking with the collection agency. If you are representing yourself, you may want to place the attorney for the plaintiff on notice as well, since they may be directly competing with the collection agency at this time, when they were hired to proceed with the lawsuit. It appears that the contractor is trying to collect by any means possible, hoping you with cooperate with one of them, which is solely at your discretion. You also have a legal right to contest the owed debt and raise any defenses which you may have.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney