Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I own a salon in NC, the people that work there rent their

Customer Question

I own a salon in NC, the people that work there rent their spaces, last week one of the renters moved out without any notice nor did she return the keys to the salon, there were also broken items in her room and she left the space filthy, my question is what are my rights, should I have received a notice , she pays weekly and I ended up having to re-key the salon at a cost of $200.00. Can I recoup lost rent and the amount for the re-keying....
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Barrister :

Hello and thanks for using JA. Did you have any type of written agreement with the tenant?

JACUSTOMER-5fwkz2ip- :

no

Barrister :

Ok, then they essentially would have been a week to week tenant and either of you could have terminated the tenancy with a 7 day notice.

Barrister :

Technically she should have given you 7 days written notice and that would give you grounds to sue her in small claims court for one more week's rent.

Barrister :

Also if she damaged the property, she can be held liable for those costs as well as the cost of rekeying if she didn't turn in her keys.

JACUSTOMER-5fwkz2ip- :

should I attempt to ask for this , or just go directly to small claims

Barrister :

Well, if she up and left without any notice and took the keys, it is pretty unlikely that a request for her to pay a week more, damages, and the cost of re-keying would be successful.

Barrister :

I would opine that you will have better luck just filing suit in small claims court as long as you can still find her. The clerk will have the forms you need to file, you don't need an attorney and you can recover your damages as well as your filing fees.

JACUSTOMER-5fwkz2ip- :

Got it, I am just not used to dealing with type of person, thank you for the advice

Barrister :

You are very lucky if you haven't run across this type person before now. But people like this only respect decisive action, so once you file suit, she will likely try to contact you to settle. Then it is up to you whether to settle or drag her into court.

JACUSTOMER-5fwkz2ip- :

Thank you again

Expert:  Shayne-cssm replied 4 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/7r20z-own-salon-nc-people-work-rent.html

Thank you, The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.